Top 10 Popular Video Games For Kids That They Will Enjoy
Popular video games for kids can be competitive sports like WWE 2K23 or a world-building platform like Minecraft. Choose a brand that promotes kid-friendly products for a reasonable budget.
Video games often get a bad rep with accusations ranging from promoting violence among kids to dumbing down the younger generation. Anything taken in excess is bad and gaming brands are no exception to this rule.
However, if used appropriately, it can help parents teach valuable life lessons to their kids, including teamwork and coordination. Virtual toys also improve the problem-solving skills of kids as they solve 100s of puzzles and other challenges on these platforms.
Moreover, the multiplayer option available in these games provides a medium for parents to hang out with their children. It further helps bridge the communication gap between a parent and their child as they interact as team players instead of in their roles as an adult and a minor.
Our team has formerly explained about the best outdoor toys for the kids, but for indoor fun, online video games are a must.
Here, we have prepared a list of 10 video games that are kid-friendly and also provide a surface to learn important skills and lessons.
1) Just Dance 2022
Just Dance 2022 is a music-themed dance game developed by Ubisoft. It is a family-friendly pastime to indulge with your kids.
It was released for the first time on November 4, 2021, and can be played on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, Stadia, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S.
Score points by copying the dance moves shown on the screen. Chose from 100s of songs for a dance-off, including famous songs like Believer [Imagine Dragons], Chandelier [Sia], Don't Go Yet [Camila Cabelo], Happier Than Ever [Billie Eilish], Love Story [Taylor Swift], and Levitating [Dua Lipa], among others.
Just Dance 2022 succeeds the previous versions of the franchise like Just Dance 2021, Just Dance 2020, and Just Dane 2019.
Recently, Ubisoft released a new version called Just Dance 2023 Edition on September 10, 2022. It includes new songs like As It Was by Harry Styles, Dynamite by BTS, and Top of the World by Shawn Mendes.
- Highest Level To Reach: 5000
- Characters: Features avatars resembling the artists in each song
- Can be played by up to 8 players
2) Mario Party Superstars
Best video games for beginners list is not complete without a version of Super Mario Bros. If you want to solve your sibling rivalry virtually, Mario Party Superstars should be your go-to platform.
The multiplayer contest was first revealed by Nintendo at the 26th E3 [Electronic Entertainment Experience] event held on June 15, 2021. It was released for purchase on October 29, 2021.
Four players are needed to play but you can also use AIs in case of fewer players. At the start of each turn, a player must roll a dice; the number appearing at the top represents the number of moves the player can make.
The gameplay is focused on the collection of stars and coins. Further, starts can also be purchased from Toadette with twenty coins. The character with the highest number of stars at the end is deemed the winner.
There is also a Mt. Minigames option for players to explore the minigames without participating in the boards.
- Age Limit: None
- Characters: Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Wario, Rosalina, Yoshi, Waluigi, Daisy, Birdo, and Donkey Kong
- Levels: Five Boards [Peach's Birthday Cake, Space Land, Yoshi's Tropical Island, Horror Land, and Woody Woods], and 100 Minigames. There is also a Mt. Minigames option for players to explore the minigames without participating in the boards.
- Can be played by up to 4 players
Video game for the child often starts with Minecraft. Its simplistic design and focus on exploration make it a pleasing experience for young kids.
Minecraft is based on a simple premise: build and/or destroy blocks to gain experience points. You can also collect experience points by other means like mining, killing mobs, and by completing other assigned tasks,
Minecraft is developed in the sandbox, meaning it focuses on world-building instead of competition between two or more players. It helps young kids learn teamwork and planning as they have to create a virtual world from scratch.
The virtual brand was developed by Swedish programmer Markus Persson, also called Notch, in 2009. It was released by Mojang Studios in 2011.
Several spinoffs of Minecraft are also currently available in the market, including Minecraft Dungeons, Minecraft: Story Mode, Minecraft Legends and Minecraft Earth.
- Characters: Steve, Noor, Alex, Sunny, Zuri, Kai, Efe, Ari, Makena
- Levels: Players must collect experience points to reach new levels. The experience points required for each level is different. For example, reaching from 0 to 1 level requires 7 experience orbs, while leveling up from 1 to 2 requires 9 XP. The maximum level to reach is 40 with a total of 2920 XP.
- Playing options include Survival Mode, Creative Mode, Spectator Mode, Hardcore Mode, and more.
- Can be played by up to 20 players in a single server without modifying server properties.
4) Among Us
Among Us is an online gaming platform that uses the social deduction skills of the players.
Inspired by the sci-fi horror movie The Thing and the party role-playing pastime Mafia, Among US was developed and released by Innersloth, an American developer.
The multiplayer platform was initially released for Android and iOS in 2018. It was later adopted for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 & 5, and Xbox Series X/S.
The players each take up a role, either Crewmates or Impostors. Up to three players are Impostors, whereas the rest are Crewmates.
For the Crewmates to win, they should either complete all the assigned tasks or eliminate all the Impostors. Likewise, the Impostors can win by either killing all the Crewmates or eliminating them; they can also win by destroying a critical system.
Among Us requires deduction skills on the part of the players to win.
- Characters: Crewmate, Impostor, Engineer, Guardian Angel, Ghost, Scientist, Shapeshifter
- Powers: Each character has unique abilities. Impostor [Kill, Vent, Sabotage, Admin, Report, Security, Vitals, Door log], Engineer [Use, Vent, Admin, Report, Doorlog, Vitals, Security], Crewmate [Report, Use, Security, Admin, Vitals, Door log], Guardian Angel [Use, Protect, Door log, Admin, Vitals, Security], Scientist [Door log, Admin, Vitals, Security], Shapeshifter [Sabotage, Kill, Unshift, Shift, Vent], Ghost [Admin, Vitals, Security, Door log]
- Levels: 4 [The Skeld, MIRA HQ, Polus, The Airship]
- Can be played by 4 to 15 players in a single setting.
5) LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Best video games based on movies include LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga. Developed by British developer Traveller's Tales, it was published by Warner Bros. Games on April 5, 2022.
Lego Star Wars uses the movies' premises to send the players on adventures. You can explore all the planets and stars included in the nine films of the Star Wars franchise.
Unlike all other virtual worlds. a player can select any level to start the Skywalker Saga. Players don't have to follow a linear order to get to different levels.
Explore the virtual galaxy far-far away and complete missions for rewards. The different planets and moons to explore include Tatooine, Naboo, Geonosis, Mustafar, Coruscant, Utapau, Pasaana, Kef Bir, and more.
- Characters: 380. Some of the major characters are Luke Skywalker, Yoda, Darth Vader, Mandalorian, C-3PO, General Grievous, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and more.
- Level: 45. Each episode of the movie franchise includes five primary missions.
6) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Breath of the Wild is the 19th installment of The Legend of Zelda series. It was developed and released by Nintendo in 2017.
Players should complete a series of tasks like exploring Hyrule, collecting gears, solving puzzles, and going on side quests. The main objective, however, is to save Princess Zelda and prevent the world from getting destroyed by Calamity Ganon.
The players can also go on missions and complete the main quests in a non-linear fashion. While minimal instructions for the gameplay are provided, players have the option of exploring the open world.
Although Breath of the Wild was initially developed as a single-player franchise, it now has the option to select multiple players.
Characters: 8 major characters [Link, Zelda, Daruk, Mipha, Urbosa, Revali, Impa, Calamity Ganon]
Levels: 15 main quests and multiple side quests.
Powers: Link has a metal-moving power called Magnesis. Zelda has telepathy and sealing powers.
7) Untitled Goose Game
Untitled Goose Game is probably the funniest entry on the list. Developed by House House, it was published by Panic Inc in 2019.
The platform uses stealth and puzzle scenarios to create a fun experience. The players are tasked with controlling a goose as it terrorizes the villagers with its unique abilities.
Untitled Goose Game is available for playing on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox One, and macOS. Initially designed for a single player, it now has an option for two players to participate at the same.
Set in a fictional English village, the players manipulate the duck's abilities to move things and bother the villagers. Thanks to its non-violence approach and simple premise, it is widely popular among players of all ages.
The Panic Inc production won the GDCA Game of the Year award in 2019 and the D.I.C.E Game of the Year award in 2020.
- Characters: Goose, Shopkeeper, Groundkeeper, TV Shop Owner, Wimp, Messy Neighbor, Tidy Neighbor, Publican's Husband, Publican, Pub Patron in Blue, Pub Patron in Yellow, Old Man, Delivery person
- Levels: 4 non-linear stages [Garden, Pub, Neighboring Backyards, Market]
- Powers: Goose has the ability to duck down, honk, wings-flapping, grab objects, and run.
8) WWE 2K23
If you are okay with the kids indulging in virtual fights, WWE 2K23 is the perfect addition to your collection.
Developed by Visual Concepts, it was published by the 2K franchise on March 17, 2023. The virtual sport can be played on Windows, Xbox One & X/S, and PlayStation 4 & 5.
2K23 is available in single and multiplayer options. It is more realistic than its predecessor, WWE 2K22.
The game is kid-friendly as the blood option can be switched if young players are participating. Similarly, you can also control the difficulty, weight detection, and entrance run-ins.
- Over 100 WWE stars to choose from. Some of the famous wrestlers are John Cena, Brock Lesnar, Kofi Kingston, Liv Morgan, Kevin Nash, Kurt Angle, Logan Paul, and more.
- Win matches to upgrade your wrestlers. Participate in competitions and
- Each wrestler has their signature finishing moves and other abilities relating to their real-world counterpart.
9) Animal Crossing: New Horizons
New Horizons is the fifth installment of the Animal Crossing franchise. It was released by Nintendo for Nintendo Switch in 2020.
New Horizons is the most successful entry of the series with over 41 million units sold all over the world. The playing format involves the central character purchasing a package from Tom Nook and then embarking on a journey to a deserted island. The accessories in the package include a tent, essentials, and other tools.
On the island, the character is tasked with completing a series of assignments and missions. The character can also collect and build items, start a community of animals, and set up different installments on the island.
The player gathers locally-available products such as wood and fruits, which are then crafted into furniture and other equipment using a technique called DIY crafting. Further, completing the assigned tasks will earn the player with rewards called nook miles.
- Characters include 413 villagers and other special characters. Most of the villagers are revamped from New Leaf and Amiibo Festival. New Horizons also introduces 16 new villagers named Cyd (elephant), Audie (wolf), Judy (cub), Dom (sheep), Raymond (cat), Sherb (goat), Megan (bear), Reneigh (horse), Ione (squirrel), Sasha (rabbit), Shino (deer), Tiansheng (monkey), Quinn (eagle), Cephalobot (octopus), Petri (mouse), and Marlo (hampster).
- Endless with no levels. Instead, it focuses on completing tasks/missions and growing the island.
10) Team Sonic Racing
Team Sonic Racing is a kart racing console released in 2019. It is a spin-off of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise.
The 2019 installment of the globally popular was developed by Sumo Digital and released by Sega on May 21, 2019. The premise focuses on teamwork as multiple players get involved in cooperative play, also called co-op, instead of winning the race with high speed.
Players participate in three kinds of racing categories based on speed, technique, and power. Therefore, the winner of the race is not determined by who is the fastest.
- Players can choose from 15 characters: Sonic the Hedgehog, Knuckles the Echidna, Rouge the Bat, Shadow the Hedgehog, E-123 Omega, Chao, Big the Cat, Blaze the Cat, Amy Rose, Miles "Tails" Prower, Vector the Crocodile, Metal Sonic, Doctor Eggman, Zavok, and Silver the Hedgehog.
- Includes 21 racing tracks for the players to compete. The tracks are named Bingo Party, Boo's House, Clockwork Pyramid, Dark Arsenal, Doctor's Mine, Frozen Junkyard, Haunted Castle, Ice Mountain, Lost Palace, Market Street, Mother's Canyon, Ocean View, Pinball Highway, Roulette Road, Sand Road, Sky Road, Thunder Deck, Turbine Loop, Whale Lagoon, and Wisp Circuit.
- Available in single-player, multiplayer, and online options. You can participate in a single-player campaign, compete in online racing, or set up a local match with up to four players.