National Day of Prayer 2023 Theme and Guide
National Day of Prayer 2023 theme centers around being a righteous man and confessing one's scene. The official tagline for 2023 was taken from James 5:16b verse of the Bible.
The National Day of Prayer is a day of showing your devotion to God and meditating. It is celebrated every year on the first Thursday in the month of May.
The concept of prayer day was first observed in Boston in 1768; the event was planned as a protest against the British Empire's decision to deploy soldiers in the city. It was followed by the House of Burgesses of the Virginia Colony on June 1, 1774.
Similarly, Georgia, Maryland, and South Carolina also celebrated prayer day in 1774/75. While the day was occasionally observed randomly on the call of influential politicians, President Abraham Lincoln was the first to assign a specific day for the ceremony to be practiced annually. Under Proclamation 97, he set aside April 30 to be celebrated as the Day of National Humiliation, Fasting, and Prayer.
Former US President Harry Truman signed a bill in 1952 that stated every subsequent President should declare a day of their choice as the National Day For Prayer every year.
In 1988, a law was passed to amend the event and set aside May's first Thursday to observe the holiday.
In 2023, the National Day of Prayer falls on May 4. On this day, the US President signs a formal proclamation urging citizens to participate in praying.
The live broadcast will begin at 8 pm. You can watch the event on Facebook, Christian radio networks & TV channels, and other live-streaming platforms.
You May Also Like: Top 10 Fun Things To Do On Memorial Day Weekend
National Day of Prayer 2023 Theme
The National Day of Prayer 2023 theme is "Pray Fervently in Righteousness and Avail Much." The message is derived from James 5:16b verse of the Bible.
The verse urges followers to confess their wrongdoings and pray for each other as it is the only way to heal. It also states that a righteous man's sincere prayers are always heard by God.
The National Day of Prayer Task Force decides the theme for every year. The Christian organization also hosts prayer sessions throughout the US.
The non-profit chooses a different trope to pray on every year. Last year in 2022, it was "Exalt the Lord who has Established Us". The message was derived from Colossians 2:6-7.
National Day of Prayer 2023 (Prayer Guide)
The National Day of Prayer 2023 prayer guide is a manual for smoothly running a session. The guide provides suggestions on the proper way to pray.
Questions like "How to Pray?" or "Whom to Pray For?" might have crossed your mind if it is the first time you're observing this holiday.
Hosting A Praying Session
- Start by addressing all the participants and thank them for attending the session. Also, introduce yourselves to the attendants.
- Ask the participants to welcome the Holy Spirit with their faith and prayers.
- Include a few Bible inspiration Bible quotes. You can also include quotes from other religious texts for inclusivity if non-Christians are also present.
How To Pray?
You don't need a specific way to pray on this holiday. You can simply remember all the blessings you received from God and pray for the lasting health & well-being of your loved ones.
Alternatively, you can recite inspirational quotes from the Bible. Here are some beautiful quotes to recite:
- "Teach me your ways, O Lord. Make them known to me. Teach me to live according to your truth, for you are my God, who saves me. I always trust in you. Remember, O Lord, your kindness and constant love which you have shown from long ago. Forgive the sins and errors of my youth. In your constant love and goodness, remember me, Lord!" [Psalm 25:4-7]
- "My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word." [Psalm 119:28]
- "At that time Jesus prayed this prayer: O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike." [Matthew 11:25]
- "We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign.” [Revelation 11:17]
- "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” [Matthew 6:9-13]
Whom To Pray For?
Pray for the most important people in your life like your parents, spouse, siblings, offspring, friends, and other beloved members of your family.
Additionally, being an American, you should also pray for the prosperity of the country and everyone living in it. Likewise, important governmental and public figures, who have made a positive impact in your life, should be included in your faith.
Some of the notable and authoritative figures to pray for include:
- US President Joe Biden
- Vice President Kamala Harris
- State Governor, Members of Congress, and Senators.
- Law Enforcement Officers [Police Officers, Soldiers, District & State Attorneys, etc.]
- Teachers, Scientists, Firefighters, Medical Workers Bus drivers, etc.
Prayers For National Day of Prayer
Prayers for National Day of Prayer are not limited to a specific person or cause. You can ask for the well-being of loved ones or even confess any sins you've committed.
We have included a few prayers to say for the safety and happiness of some of the most important people in your lives.
Good Morning Prayer For My Husband
If you are a woman raised in a traditional setting, you are probably aware of the importance of a nuclear family.
For a traditional married woman, her husband is the most important person in her life. With these prayers, you can ask for the longevity of your spouse's life and his welfare.
- "Thank you for giving me and my husband another day to spend together. We are blessed by you and love you so much. Please help us make the most of today and help us grow closer to you. Amen."
- "Jesus Christ, please watch over my husband today. Give him guidance and knowledge to make the right choices, and keep him safe. Surround him with your love and protection. Amen."
- "My husband is a good man, and I love him unconditionally. Please help him to stay positive and cheerful, no matter what challenges come his way. Help him to feel your love and support. Give him the strength to make it through any obstacle that comes his way. Amen."
- "Give my husband strength and wisdom to do your will today. Help him to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit in every decision he makes. Amen."
Morning Prayer For Wife
The Bible says the relationship between a person and his wife is sacred. Here are a few prayers for you to preach every morning for the welfare of your wife.
- "I pray that you have a great day, my loving wife. I am so grateful for you and love you more than anything in the world. Amen."
- "Lord, please bless my wife today with joy, peace, and happiness. Help her to have a day full of your blessings. In Jesus’ name, amen."
- "Father, I cover my wife with the blood of the Lord Jesus. With your blessing, she is preserved against every form of evil."
- "Lord Jesus Christ, I place my wife's life in your hands. Lift her and protect her from any trespassers."
Sunday Morning Prayer For Family And Friends
Sunday is the day for many people of Christian to attend their local church and pray for the health and prosperity of their beloved family members and friends.
Even if you don't visit Churches, Sunday morning is still a good day to pray for the welfare of their loved ones.
- "Dear Lord, as a new week begins, please fill us with your divine spirit. No matter where we go, let there be joy, love, and goodness within us and all around. I pray to you to make us more like you and stay close to you. Amen."
- "Lord Jesus, today is a new week and an opportunity for a new beginning. Now that yesterday is over, all our failures, mistakes, or regrets are gone too. It is a perfect day to give thanks and be happy. Amen."
- "Dear Lord, thank you for being mightier than anything else I may face during the week. You are our lasting and true strength no matter what we could be up against. Let us pray today that your peace may show my dear ones the right path. We request your grace and blessings. My family and friends need you and love you, dear God. Amen."
Night Prayers For Family
After finishing up a tiresome, some people pray before going to sleep. While many believe nighttime to be ungodly and only pray when the sun is still up, praying is a great way to put an end to your day.
- “In peace, I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”
- “If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
- "Jesus, tender Shepherd, hear me. Bless this little lamb tonight. Through the darkness, be down near me, keep me safe until the morning light. Amen."
- “And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him."