10 Jumping Rope Benefits For A Fitter And Healthier You
Remember jumping ropes as a kid? It isn't just a kid's game anymore. This fun exercise is also a full-body workout with a large number of benefits. One of the biggest advantages of jumping rope is that it is easily available and you can do it in your own home at your feasible time.
By jumping ropes for a few minutes you can burn calories, and improve your mental health, all from your own comfort zone. We have gathered 10 benefits that will make you start skipping ropes right away.
How to Jump Rope?
Jumping rope isn't difficult but here is the best way to get started with it. Skip rope is something most of us have experienced as kids or adults at least once in our life but if you are yet to try it then now is the time.
- Make sure the rope is of the right length and hold both ends of the jump rope in each hand. Keep your feet close and ensure that the rope is behind your ankles.
- Swing the rope over your head while keeping your wrists up and your spine straight. Avoid looking downwards and let the rope fall toward your feet.
- Jump with both feet before the rope touches your feet and then land softly back on the ground.
- Repeat the process and enjoy it.
Benefits of Jumping Rope Every Day
Jumping ropes has both physical and mental benefits. Here we have listed some benefits of Jumping Rope every day.
1. Great Cardio Workout
Jumping rope requires the involvement of many different muscles which will improve your cardio circulation, making it a great cardio workout.
2. Burns Calories
Skipping rope is a great way to burn calories. By simply jumping ropes you can burn up to 15-20 calories per minute. As you increase your intensity, your calories will burn more, and can lose weight.
3. Increases Stamina
Jumping rope improves your lung capacity and increases your stamina and endurance.
4. Improves Bone Density
Bone density usually decreases with age and causes your bone to be weak. Jumping ropes daily can build your bone density and strengthen your bones.
5. Improves Your Heart Health
When you are skipping rope, your heart rate increases. Due to this, the heart has to work harder to pump oxygenated and deoxygenated blood across the body which improves your heart health.
6. Boosts Mental Health
Exercise increases blood circulation in the brain and jumping ropes can help you with your anxiety, depression, and mood by relieving your stress.
7. Improves Concentration
While jumping ropes, your focus will only be on your rhythm and your pace, and this will help increase your concentration level.
8. Tones Down Your Upper And Lower Body
Jumping rope is a whole-body workout. It helps you shed fats and tones your body. You can also build your calf and improve your bicep, tricep, and chest muscles.
9. Improves Coordination
Jumping rope requires a steady rhythm along with coordination between your eyes feet and hands. If they don't coordinate at the right time, it can even cause injury.
10. It's Fun
Jumping rope is an amazing fun activity that gives effective results. Having fun while working out is very important as it will determine how long will you stick to the routine.
Different Styles of Jumping Rope
You can jump rope in different styles. If you are new to jumping ropes, focus on basic jumps but if have already mastered it and are bored with the basic jump, you may incorporate different styles like alternate foot jump or backward jumping. Below we have listed some different styles that you can try while jumping a rope.
This traditional way of jumping rope is best for beginners as it is an easy and effective way of doing a full-body workout.
Backward Jumping, is done in the same way as the basic jump but in a backward direction and is a great way to build your calf
Alternate Foot Jumps
This is similar to jogging but with a rope. In this style, we alternate our feet every time the rope passes through us. This allows us to jump at a higher intensity and is a beneficial rope skill.
Criss Cross Jump
Criss Cross style is one of the most popular rope exercises. For this, you have to hold your jump rope normally as you do in basic, and as the rope goes over your head, cross your hands around your belly areas, keep the wrists straight, and jump.
How Many Calories Does Jumping Rope Burn?
How Long To Jump Rope For Maximum Benefits?
We should never overdo any exercise as it can cause injury to our body. Here we have listed some tips for you to get the maximum benefits from jumping rope.
- Start with a short workout session of about 5 minutes, on and off rope. Starting small will help you build your endurance and make you familiar with the activity.
- The length of the workout depends on your aim so one needs to set clear goals. If you are aiming to improve your athletic side, you can go for a short but high-intensity workout. Ideally, 15-30 minutes of skipping is best for maximum benefits.
- Be consistent, do not over-strain yourself, and take rest days as needed.
Precautions for Jumping Rope
Jumping rope is beneficial to your health but with every kind of exercise comes some risks. Although jumping rope looks easy, you may end up injuring yourself if it is not done correctly. So, to maximize benefits and reduce the chances of getting hurt, we have listed a few ways to avoid injuries when skipping rope.
- No matter how hurry you are in, you should always warm up at least 10 minutes before you start jumping rope.
- Wearing comfortable and shock-absorbing shoes is very important in preventing injuries when you are jumping rope.
- Fluid intake is another important thing to consider when jumping ropes. Drink an adequate amount of water before and after exercise.
- Jumping ropes should always be done on a smooth surface. You should never jump harshly on a concrete surface as it may lead to injuries.
- One should never be over-enthusiastic and try to jump vigorously. Putting too much strain while jumping rope can lead to muscle and joint injury so you should be cautious when jumping on harsh surfaces.