Best Indoor Birthday Party Games For Kids Of Different Ages
Indoor birthday party games for kids include hot potato, balloon stomps, and much more. Indoor games are one of the best sources of entertainment at parties.
When it comes to hosting a party for young ones, incorporating pastimes can make the experience more fun and memorable. Apart from entertainment the activities also help the young ones to bond with each other and increase their social skills.
Indoor sports are known to increase children's critical thinking and cognitive skills. Many parents love indoor activities during a party as it has low chances of physical injury. It is also a fun way to get everyone to participate in the activities.
We have listed the best indoor fun activities for children of different ages to enjoy at a party.
You May Also Like: Top 10 Popular Video Games For Kids
Fun Indoor Games For Seven Year Olds
Birthday party games for 7 year olds can be Hot Potato, Balloon Stomp and Freeze Dance. Children are full of energy and love to participate in fun activities.
1. Hot Potato
Hot Potato is a well-known indoor sport that has been around for ages. In this classic fun activity, the young ones must pretend that they have a hot potato in their hands. They must pass around the ball quickly so that they won't get burnt.
Before starting the activity let the children warm up as they toss the ball from one participant to another. Then instruct them to form a circle to start.
How To Play
- The children pass the ball or any similar object around the circle without dropping the ball.
- If someone drops the ball they must sit in the middle known as the hot potato soup pot.
- At the end of each round speed up the passing to create a fun environment.
- The sport continues until only one participant remains.
To add entertainment to the pastime you can play hot potato with music.
2. Ballon Stomp
Balloon Stomp is an energetic activity in which the last player with an unpopped balloon wins. The sport can be played individually or in a team. You will be needing balloons, strings, painter's tape, and scissors.
The duration of the pastime depends upon the number of balloons you can inflate.
How To Play
- First create a boundary in the vacant space as the pastime will be confined to space.
- Then tie a balloon to each participant's ankle with the help of strings.
- Instruct the participant to stand at the edge of the play area.
- When you say "go" the players must come forward and try to pop each other's balloon with their feet.
- The player is eliminated when their balloon pops.
- The last one remaining with an un-popped balloon is the winner.
You May Also Like: Popular And Fun Games To Play At A Family Reunion
3. Freeze Dance
Freeze Dance is an entertaining pastime in which the player has to move to the beat of the music. The other variation of the sport includes freezing in the position of an animal.
But the most popular variation is the one with music. Instruct the young to be careful and not to touch other participants or any objects.
How To Play
- First select songs that are age-appropriate.
- Every participant must dance as soon as the music starts.
- When the song stops, the players must freeze in their last position until the music resumes
- The pastime continues until there is one person left.
4. Googly Eyes Board Game
Googly Eyes is a team activity where a team member has to draw the challenge wearing distorted glasses. The other members of the group must get it right to move forward on the board.
Before beginning the sport set up the board in the middle of the table. Then allow the team to pick a pawn color and place it in the start space. Shuffle the challenge cards and place them face down.
After placing the required materials you can start the entertaining activity.
How To Play
- The person drawing for the group will roll the die.
- Then move the pawn to the spaces shown on the board. The color space that the pawn is in determines two things the color of the lens and the challenge card.
- The player draws the first card from the deck and announces the category.
- The drawer looks at the challenge that matches the color of the space.
- They put on the wacky glasses with the colored lens and once the timer is set they start to draw.
- The team players have to guess the drawing correctly before the timer runs out.
- If guess correctly they can roll move forward and roll the die to move their pawns.
- If they fail to guess the drawing then they stay put until their next turn.
- The team to reach the finish line first is the winner.
Party Games For Eight Year Old Kids
Birthday party games for 8 year olds will enjoy are Musical Chair, Sardines, and Duck Duck Goose. Pastimes make for a memorable moment with the little ones.
1. Musical Chairs
Musical Chairs is one of the classic sports of all time. Throughout the years, people have invented several variations of the pastime such as extreme musical chairs, non-competitive musical chairs, dancing musical chairs, and musical hats.
How To Play
- Collect chairs equal to the number of participants minus one. Then arrange the chairs in a circle.
- Instruct the children to walk around the chair in a clockwise direction as the music starts.
- After the music stops, the players need to find a chair to seat.
- One participant will be left without a chair and they will be out of the competition.
- Remove another chair for the next round.
- The process is repeated until one chair and two players remain.
- The participant seated on the last chair is declared the winner.
Sardines is the reversed version of the famous pastime hide and seek. It can be played with 3-5 people but the activity becomes interesting and fun when there is a large number of people.
Before beginning the activity make sure that the young ones understand the rules and boundaries of the sport.
How To Play
- First decide who will be "it", the person who hides.
- Then the person will hide somewhere while others count to 100.
- When the group has finished counting they will search for the "it" person.
- When a player finds the hidden person, the participant joins the"it" person in the hiding place.
- The pastime is completed when the whole group is cramped in one place like sardines.
3. Duck Duck Goose
Duck Duck Goose is a chasing competition that will energize the little fellas and fill the party with joy and laughter. The activity is easy to perform as it doesn't require any equipment.
The sport is also called Quail, Quail, Quarry or Duck, Duck, Gray Duck, or Daisy in the Dell. The activity also has different variations depending on the country. In China, it is known as Drop the Napkin and the German version is known as The Plumpsack Goes Around.
How To Play
- Instruct them to sit in a circle.
- One child is selected to be "it".
- The "it" walks around the circle. They go around the circle tapping each participant on the head and saying duck.
- The "it" must tap and choose one player to be a goose.
- The person chosen to be the goose must stand and chase the "it" person around the circle.
- The "it" must try to sit on the goose's place before he/she gets caught.
- If the child is caught he/she must sit in the middle of the circle until another person is caught.
- If the "it" becomes successful to sit in the goose's place then the goose becomes the new "it."
You May Also Like: Best Electric Ride On Toys For 8-10 Year Olds
4. Chocolate Games
Chocolates are one of the favorite food that children love to eat. The sport will brighten up their faces as they get chocolate as a reward.
Before the activity starts you will need supplies such as a plate, a knife and fork, chocolate bars, a pair of dice, and dress-up items. Place the necessary items required for the activity in the middle of the table.
How To Play
- At first a player should roll the die.
- If he/she rolls six the highest number in a die, the child gets to eat the chocolate bar. The player can only consume chocolate if he/she gets the highest number.
- Then the participant must dress up in six items of clothing and he/she can only eat the chocolate using a fork and knife.
- The player must be fully dressed before picking a fork and knife.
- Pass the die along by taking turns until six is rolled.
Pastimes Nine Years Old Would Enjoy At A Party
Birthday party games for 9 year olds include Charades, Indoor Bowling and son on. These activities will make the day special for the young ones.
1. Detective Games
At the age of nine, the children begin to develop their cognitive skills. Introducing the little fellas to a thrilling mystery and detective quest can help them enhance their cognitive skills.
Detective quest will keep the children entertained as they solve interesting mysteries like true detectives. Create DIY detective activities where the young ones will be solving the case of a missing teddy bear.
Escape Room pastimes are also one of the best to enhance a child's problem-solving skills and for them to enjoy the party. Mystery board games are a fun way for the children to spend their time at the party.
There are several mystery boards available online such as Spy Alley, Clue, and The Family Treasure Hunt.
Charades is a popular sport among all age groups. The pastime is easy to play and organize during a party since all you need are words and you're ready to play.
The pastime is played between teams and the number of groups is determined by the number of children available at the party. To understand the words and phrases many signals and hand gestures are used.
How To Play Charades
- Create a list of words and phrases on a piece of paper and put it in a bowl. You can also print out free printables online.
- Then a player will act out the word or a phrase with the help of gestures.
- The participants are not allowed to speak as they act.
- The group members must guess the correct answer within a limited time frame.
- If they fail to answer the team won't receive.
- Repeat the same process with other members and groups.
- The group with the most correct answer is the winner.
3. Indoor Bowling
Indoor Bowling can be a new experience for the young ones. You can include your children as you create DIY pins at home.
The items needed for indoor bowling are empty plastic bottles, pebbles or sand, and a ball. Before starting the activity, fill the bottles with sand or pebbles to weigh down the bottle.
How To Play Indoor Bowling
- Arrange the plastic bottles in a row as per wish. For example one in the first row, two in the second row, three in the third row, and more.
- Instruct the little fellas to take 7-10 steps away from the bottle pins.
- Let the children roll the ball one at a time
4. Chinese Whisper
Chinese Whisper has been one of the most famous pastimes that have been played at children's parties all around the globe. Apart from entertainment, the activity helps the children to understand how small misconception leads to making a huge difference.
How To Play
- Gather four or more players.
- The participant starting the activity thinks of a word or a phrase and whispers into another person's ear without repetition.
- The listener tries to repeat the same word or phrase correctly into the next participant's ear.
- The last person in the line repeats the word aloud.
- The group enjoys a good laugh if the message is changed. The first person announces the correct word or phrase.
- The activity continues as the next player picks the next word or phrase.
Indoor Fun Activities For Ten Year Olds
Birthday party games for 10 year olds can be Donuts on Strings, Pictionary, and Who Am I among others. Fun pastimes will entertain and keep the kids engaged.
1. Donuts On Strings
Donuts on Strings is a fun activity where the players try to eat donuts the fastest without using their hands. To start the pastime you will need one donut per participant, strings, and a long stick to hang the food item.
First, cut the strings approximately two-foot lengths for each donut. Then tie the strings through the middle part of the donut. Tie the other side of the string into the long stick with a foot apart from one another.
Have two adults hold the stick with donuts at the mouth height of the participants. Before starting the activity instruct the children to put their hands behind their backs. The pastime begins when the host yells "Go."
The participants race to see who can eat the donut the fastest. The first person to eat the donut without dropping any on the floor is declared the winner.
2. Who Am I?
Who Am I? is another classic sport that can be played with limited materials. First, you need to write down or print the list of names of famous people that everyone at the party is aware of.
Then have each child stick a note on their forehead with the name of the person showing. Have the player go around the room and ask yes/no questions to the other players. The goal of the activity is for the players to guess the name of famous people written on their foreheads.
The activity continues until everyone successfully guesses the correct answer.
Pictionary is a fun social activity that is played in teams. At first, the host must come up with categories to be included. Then note down the words for each category on a card or a piece of paper.
Place the card stacked face down or fold the paper. Provide each team with drawing papers and pencils. Then each team picks a player who's drawing the round while others try to guess.
The player draws a card and starts to sketch the given word on the paper. The other team members have to guess in a limited time frame. The same process is repeated by other teams as well.
This pastime is completed after all the team members sketch the words. The team with the most guesses wins.
Fun Activites For Children Of Eleven
Birthday party games for 11 year olds can be Wink Assassin, Twister, and Taco vs Burrito. Group activities foster imagination and teamwork in the young ones.
1. Taco vs Burrito Card Game
Taco vs Burrito is a fun card activity where you make the weirdest, wildest, and most valuable meal. First, each player chooses to be a Taco or a Burrito. Then deal five cards to each player, there is no minimum or maximum number of cards that a player can have in their hands.
Make a draw pile where the remaining cards are placed face down and on the side make a trash pile. Before starting the pastime check for the health inspector card. If a player has a health inspector card shuffle it back into the deck and deal a new card.
During your turn draw a card and add an ingredient to the taco/burrito or add tummy aches to reduce the value of the meal or add hot sauce boss to double the meal value. You can also use the action card Crafty Crow, Trash Panda, and Food Fight to gain the card you need to win.
The activity is over once one player is out of all cards and the player with the most points wins.
2. Wink Assassin
Wink Assasin is a fun social sport with a simple concept. The pastime is best if there are ten players but no more than 30. Before starting the activity, pick a moderator to pick a wink assassin and facilitate the sport.
How To Play Wink Murderer
- First the players must close their eyes as the moderator picks the wink assassin by tapping on the player's shoulder.
- Then the participants open their eyes and make a casual conversation with each other as they try to find the wink assassin.
- The players must make eye contact with one another since the wink assassin will wink without others noticing. This is how the assassin kills you.
- If a participant is been winked at then he/she must pretend to die. You are out of the competition.
- The players who haven't been winked at must solve the crime and find the assassin.
- A player must say "I accuse" if they suspect someone.
- The activity ends once the assassin is identified.
Twister is widely known as a physically skilled competition. The sport is played on a plastic mat that has four rows with six circles. The circles are colored in four colors red, blue, green, and yellow.
The spinner tells the participants where they have to position their hands or foot.
How To Play Twister
- The participants must try to place their hand or a foot on a vacant circle of the called out color (e.g. right leg blue)
- You can't make a move unless the referee allows it.
- If all six circles of one color are occupied then spin the wheel again.
- If a knee or elbow touches the mat or if the participant falls down he/she is out of the competition.
- The last player left is the winner.
Party Ideas For The Early Teens
Birthday party games for 12 year olds include Truth or Dare, Minute To Win It and so on. Creative and challenging activities are perfect to engage the early teens.
1. Truth or Dare
Truth or Dare is a popular pastime among the early teens. Create at least 20 questions for truths and 20 dares and put them in their labeled container. The children will take their turn and pick truth or dare.
If they pick the truth they must answer the question but if they pick the dare option the players must complete the task mentioned in the paper. The questions and tasks should be made age-appropriate.
You May Also Like: 20 Activities About Prayers For Kids and Teenagers
2. Minute To Win It
Minute to Win It is an exciting competition format where the players must complete the given tasks in a minute. Set up a course made up of four to eight activities where the participants have a minute complete the specific task at each station.
The Minute to Win It course can include activities such as cookie move, starburst stack, balloon up, cup stacking, drop in the cup, and more.
3. Name That Tune
Name That Tune is a simple pastime where a player has to guess the name of the song by its tunes. Pick trendy songs that teens listen to make the pastime more interesting.
Play the snippet of each song and let the participants guess the name of the music. The competition becomes more interesting if it is played in a team.