Funniest Examples and Tips on Writing A Best Man Speech For Brother
How To Write A Best Man Speech For Brother? Well first, you should include a few jokes and personal memories you share with the groom. Here are more tips.
If you've been asked to become a best man, you might have felt the pressure to stand out and impress hundreds of guests.
But, what if the to-be-groom is your brother? Does your relationship with the groom make the task more or less challenging?
Obviously, you know the groom better than anyone present at the wedding unless you didn't grow up together or have a significant age gap. So, in a sense, being the brother of the groom will somehow make it easier to be the best man.
However, too much familiarity with the groom can also ruin the moment in some cases as you might be willing to avoid a filter you'd normally use with other people.
So, what does a best man do? Well, the best man is charged with hosting the bachelor party and leading the groomsmen.
But, one of the main tasks of the best man is to give a speech at the wedding. Today, let's take a look at the ways to write a funny best man speech for your brother.
How To Write A Best Man Speech For Brother?
Writing the best man speech is quite simple. Just be careful not to offend either the bride or the groom.
The best man speech for brother should include jokes and personal stories.
As most people only get to become the best man once or twice in their lives, this task can appear daunting.
If you're the brother of the groom, chances are you know the groom better than any other guests at the wedding. So, it's not necessarily an added challenge to serve as the brother and best man of the groom.
Use your personal experiences and memories with your brother to write a funny speech. But, don't be too obsessed with humor as an intimidating joke can offend the groom or the bride, thus severely affecting the wedding atmosphere.
Moreover, try selecting a theme for the speech. You can have multiple approaches to shaping the tone. You can start by asking a question and incorporating the answer into the speech. Or, you can use a famous quote and explain how it relates to the newlyweds and their relationship.
As even professional writers use multiple drafts, don't lose hope if you can't write a decent speech on your first try. Instead, finish a first draft even if it sounds miserable. After completing the first draft, analyze it to determine the changes needed in the subsequent drafts.
Here is a summary of the points to remember when preparing your best man speech.
- Select a theme for the speech. You can choose funny, inspirational, emotional, or a mix of all.
- Introduce yourself and state your relationship with the groom. Also, use a few funny memories you share with him.
- Mention the groom's accomplishments, character, and why he is the best husband material.
- Mention your relationship with the bride and include points on what makes her special.
- Include a message for the bride and wish the newlyweds a bright future and a long married life.
- Raise a toast for the couple.
- Thank the hosts for organizing the ceremony and the guests for making it special with their attendance.
Does The Best Man Have To Give A Speech?
Yes, the best man is expected to give a speech after the maid of honor and groom's speech.
If you're wondering "When does the best man give his speech?", it is usually given at the wedding reception.
However, the bride and groom can also decide to host the speech at the rehearsal dinner.
The speech normally includes the best man's relationship and memories with the groom and bride. While the speaker is free to include his personal relationship with the groom, the focus should be on the newlyweds and how they make each other better.
Like any relationship, brothers have a unique bond and love between them and weddings are the perfect opportunities to express your love to them. Previously, our team have covered about the father-daughter bonding in wedding with suitable dance songs for the ceremony.
How To Start A Best Man Speech?
Start the best man speech by introducing yourself a little and your relationship with the groom.
Try using a joke within the first 30 seconds but remember that the guests should be laughing with the groom and not at him.
Also, include a memorable experience you share with the groom and bride.
How To End A Best Man Speech?
The best way to end a best man speech is to raise a toast for the newlyweds. Also, wish the couple happiness and love before ending the speech.
You can also include a joke at the ending but the joke should be short and to the point. However, if you are not a jokester, avoid ending your speech with a joke. An emotional sendoff is much better than a forced joke.
You May Also Like: Top 10 Most Expensive Celebrity Weddings of All Time
Tips For Best Man Speech
While there are no specific rules to know before writing a best man speech, you should take into consideration a few general tips that can improve the tone of the speech.
The best man speech has to follow up with speeches made by the maid of honor, bride's father, and groom. So, the best man is under immense pressure to perform casually in front of hundreds of guests.
The probability of the best man speech going wrong doesn't depend only on the choice of words but also on how the speaker delivers the lines. But, the words used during the speech and their timing also play a significant role in creating an impression on the guests present at the reception.
Take a look at a few tips for best man speech to consider before you start writing.
Make it funny:
Include a few lighthearted jokes in your speech and make sure to use them at regular intervals. You don't want to bore the guests with a serious speech.
However, be careful not to include any offensive jokes or jokes about his ex-girlfriends. It's better to skip a joke than to use one that can offend the newlyweds.
Skip any in-jokes that the guests might not understand.
Make it simple:
Use simple words that can be easily understood by the guests at the wedding.
The best speech is not meant to be a test of your vocabulary. Don't use complicated words that most people need a dictionary to understand.
Also, don't use complex analogies or anecdotes. You can use a few quotes but make sure to relate those with the wedding or the couple.
Avoid upstaging the bride and groom:
While you are expected to introduce yourself and talk about your relationship with the groom, you should be careful not to divert attention from the newlyweds. Just remember you are not the star of the day, the bride and groom are.
Rehearse your speech:
Always rehearse your speech multiple times before giving it at the wedding reception or the rehearsal dinner.
Just like public speaking, the best man speech also needs a few attempts before it can be delivered with perfection.
Unprepared speeches often end up in embarrassing moments where the speaker gets stuck or disoriented. To avoid this, practice giving the speech in the mirror. Also, if you have a fear of public speaking, try saying it in front of a few people before giving the speech at the official ceremony.
It is best to record your rehearsal speech to find out that you look and sound appropriately during the speech.
Express gratitude for the couple:
Staying humble is one of the best ways to make sure that you don't screw up the speech.
Express gratitude towards the newlyweds and the hosts for making you a part of their special day. Don't forget to thank the groom for making you the best man at his wedding.
Use kind words to thank the hosts and the staff who worked to make the event possible.
Use appropriate language or jokes:
Avoid using inappropriate language or jokes during your speech. Even if children are not at the reception, the bride and groom's parents, family members, and work colleagues attend the reception.
Use kid-friendly language to communicate your message to the couple and other guests present at the ceremony.
Also, the best man speech is not about roasting the groom. While you can include a few lighthearted jokes at the groom's expense, don't tell any embarrassing jokes related to his insecurities or past relationships.
Avoid drinking alcohol before the speech:
Drinking alcohol before giving a speech is never a good idea.
While some individuals might use a drink to boost confidence, getting drunk can cause the person to stutter or slur during the speech.
Appearing drunk or disoriented is not only an embarrassment for the best man but also for the married couple as guests will start questioning the groom's choices.
Keep it short and sweet:
A normal best man speech should last between three to five minutes. A shorter speech might not be enough to communicate your message and a speech longer than five minutes might make the guests bored.
So, you should accurately time your speech during rehearsal. Omit any unnecessary points if your speech is longer than five minutes. Likewise, add some interesting points if the speech turns out to be shorter than three minutes.
Funniest Best Man Speech Sample And Examples
Funniest best man speech should contain a few jokes but make sure to include only clean jokes. Although you need not necessarily be funny to make a speech, using humor will keep the audience engaged and entertained.
We've included a few funny best man speech samples and examples.
i) Best Man Speech For Friend
Best man speech examples friend should contain one-liners that will immediately captivate the audience's attention. You can also use 1-2 heartfelt quotes to show your emotional attachment to the couple.
[Groom] is the best friend I could have ever asked for. Growing up, we lived across the street from each other. So, he was always really more convenient than anybody else. The fact that there was a pool in his backyard didn’t hurt the relationship either.
- There’s nothing [Groom] wouldn’t do for me. In fact, he’s spent 20 years doing nothing for me. See what you have to look forward to [Bride]?
- I could go into all the funny stories about [Groom] that include some of that stupidity. Instead, I will focus on all the smart moves he’s made. His friendships, the relationship he has with his family, his career, it’s all a reflection of the incredible man [Groom] has become. But, the smartest move he has made is marrying you, [Bride].
ii) Best Man Speech For Brother
As the brother and best man of the groom, you are expected to include a few in-jokes and memories.
If you are the younger brother of the groom, chances are you always looked up to him. Feel free to tell how he always inspired you but also remember to not bore the audience by only singing the praises of the groom.
- I’m [Your name], [Groom]’s best man and also his big brother. I think it says a lot about a man when he chooses his brother to be his best man. Mostly, of course, it says “I have no friends.”
- For those of you who don`t know me, I`m [Your Name], [Groom]’s younger brother. It`s great to be stood up here today because, after all these years, [Groom] has finally admitted that I am the best man.
- Being the oldest of four boys couldn’t have been an easy thing for [Groom]. But, in a house full of hyenas, [Groom] was the Lion King.
- [Groom] is my brother, so naturally, I have a long list of blackmail-quality memories to scatter throughout this speech tonight. But, don’t get scared, I’ll keep [embarrassing incident] under wraps and not mention it.
iii) Best Man Speech For Dad
The father of the bride is one of the most important people at the wedding. In most cases, he is the one to pay for the lavish wedding and overpriced food.
The bride's father is expected to give a speech before the best man. Here are a few one-liners to use if you are the father of the bride.
- Welcome everyone to my daughter’s wedding. No matter what papers [Bride] may have signed today, I hope I’ll always be the most important man in her life.
- I’ve written a hilarious speech for today. But, [Bride's Mother] is making me read this one instead.
- Although I love [Bride] very much, I definitely won’t miss listening to her sing in the shower every morning. Good luck [Groom].
- It’s believed that daughters marry a man similar to their father. [Bride's Mother], why do you look so upset?
20 Best Man Speech Jokes And Templates
Take a look at the following best man speech jokes which might come in handy while preparing your speech:
- Everybody who knows [Bride] well will know that she is a wonderful person and deserves a perfect husband. Thank God [Groom] married her before she found one.
- I have to say just how lucky [Groom] is. You will leave here today with a wife who is warm, loving, and caring. And, [Bride], how lucky you are as well. You leave here today having gained a lovely outfit and a wonderful bouquet of flowers.
- I am aware of my place here; a best man is similar to a dead body at a funeral. Of course, you are expected to be there but if you say too much then people start freaking out.
- I asked for a microphone but was told it wasn’t available. So, if you can’t hear me at the back, the silence from the people at the front should reassure you that you’re not missing out on anything.
- Good evening, family, friends, and everyone here today. I’m very happy to preside over the only five minutes of the day [Bride] didn’t plan.
- Loyal, sincere, caring, honest, and a great man… but that’s enough about me, I’m here to give a speech about [Groom].
- I’m going to keep this speech like [Groom] – short and not very funny.
- I didn’t really want to do this but agreed to it as this might be the only time I’ll get to have a meal and drinks paid for by [Groom].
- As the best man, I am supposed to sing praises of [Groom] and tell you all about his many good points. Well, I’m sorry but I can’t sing and I won’t lie.
- I always knew [Groom]'s speech would be hard to follow. In fact, I couldn’t understand a single word of it.
- Walking down the aisle earlier today, [Bride] looked simply stunning. [Groom], on the other hand, simply looked stunned.
- I spoke to some of [Groom]’s work colleagues and found out that he’s considered a God at work. He’s rarely seen, holier than thou, and if he does any work, it’s a bloody miracle.
- On their first date, [Groom] thought he’d make an impression, and promised [Bride] a seven-course meal. [Bride] was a bit disappointed when it turned out to be a burger and a six-pack.
- 20 years ago, [Groom] was told by a doctor that he would never dance normally again. When the band starts, you’ll see exactly what that specialist was talking about.
- When I saw [Bride] heading up the aisle with her father, I thought “At last she’s seen sense and got herself a man with looks and money."
- Before [Groom] proposed to [Bride], he went to ask her father for her hand in marriage. [Bride's father] said that it was fine by him, provided he took the hand that had spent 20 years fishing into his wallet.
- Being asked to be the best man is about five minutes of pride, followed by an eternity of panic. [Bride], I expect you had a similar experience when [Groom] proposed to you for marriage.
- Being asked to become the best man is like being called up for jury duty. You don’t really want to do it but know you have to. You’re made to dress snappy and pretend to be a responsible member of society. The only difference is I didn’t have a say in the life sentence passed earlier today.
- My speech won’t take too long today because of my throat. [Bride] has threatened to cut it if I go on for too long. And, [Groom] has threatened to cut it if I mention anything about the wild weekend in Vegas.
- [Bride] told me [Groom] has always brightened up her life. Well, she actually said he never turned the lights off but it amounts to the same thing pretty much.
Best Man Speech Template
Here's a sample of a best man speech template to consider before you start writing one:
- Identify yourself and your relationship with the groom. Include memories you share together.
- Include a lighthearted joke.
- Compliment the bride and the groom and congratulate them for getting married.
- Include 2-3 stories and jokes about the groom to keep the guests entertained.
- Talk about how the bride and groom make each other better and what have you learned from their relationship
- Wrap up your speech by raising a toast for the newlyweds.
- Include some advice you want to give to the couple.
- Thank the hosts of the reception and the guests for their attendance.